Top 5 takeaways from the Employer Market Insights Report
At Magellan Rx Management, it’s no secret that we are experts in the pharmacy benefits industry. We work with many lines of business, all of which face unique challenges. Hand-in-hand with our commitment to providing best-in-class service is our desire to deliver quality services, – which is increasingly valuable for employers as medication costs continue to rise. That’s why we wrote the Employer Markets Insight Report – we’re here to help!
The Fourth Edition of our Employer Market Insights Report is available now and contains forecasted trends, conditions to watch, and targeted prescriber interventions and outcomes.
Here are the key forecast takeaways from the report:
- Our forecast predicts a decrease in drug spend in 2021, followed by a sharp increase in 2022 due to an influx of pipeline agents.
- In 2022, pipeline agents in the depression and diabetes categories will cause the highest traditional trend in the last three years.
- In addition to pipeline agents, migraine, traditional “top condition to watch” will contribute to the increased trend with an average four-year trend of 42%, five to six times higher than high-cost categories such as diabetes and asthma/COPD.
- Autoimmune: anti-inflammatory is the top spend category and the “top condition to watch” on the specialty benefit, with a trend close to two times that of oncology.
- In 2022, like traditional, specialty pipeline agents will cause a spike in specialty trend, led by agents in the lupus and autoimmune categories. The release of biosimilars in autoimmune will decrease that trend starting in 2023.
Want more details on the latest pharmacy trends in the Employer market? Read the Employer Market Insights report today.