5 Shocking Statistics about Drug and Alcohol Misuse
- Those who abuse prescription opioids are 40% more likely to use heroin than those who don’t.
- The United States consumes 80% of the world’s prescription painkiller supply, despite not even making up 5% of the world’s population.
- It’s possible to die the first time you use cocaine, consumption quadruples the risk of sudden death.
- An estimated 88,000 people die per year due to alcohol.
- Only about 11% of those addicted to drugs or alcohol actually receive treatment for their substance abuse disorder.